Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hillers grocery store taught a cooking class at our local hospital, this recipe was designed especially for our lowfat, high fiber class.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground fresh buffalo or 1 1⁄2 lbs venison
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained well
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained well
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained well
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- Brown meat with diced onion over low heat.
- Add all other ingredients except green onions.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Server with green onio sprinkled on top.
This was quick, easy and healthy. I used buffalo, and it is nice not dealing with the "grease" from hamburger. I left out the pinto beans (we don't care for them) and added more kidney beans. Overall pretty good, but I think it needed some ground cumin, so will add that next time.
Oh this was AWESOME! Made it for a quick dinner last night, and it was great. I kind of cut the recipe in half as there's only 3 of us, though I used all the beans ~ we love beans! Spicy and very pleasing, served with toasted buttered bagel halves and salad. Thanks morgainegeiser ~ made for FALL PAC 2009!