1/1 Photo of Hijiki Rice Salad
Mixed with rice, ginger, toasted sesame seeds, and a slightly sweet vinaigrette, hijiki will refresh the body and rejuvenate the spirit! Adapted from Vegetarian Planet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ounce dried hijiki seaweed (about 1 cup)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas, cut into thin julienne strips
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (or 2 tsp. sugar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or canola or corn oil)
- fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- 1Soak the hijiki in cool water for 1 hour, then drain it.
- 2Bring the water and 1/2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a medium saucepan, add rice. Turn heat down to low, and cover pan. Simmer rice 20 minutes.
- 3Whle rice simmers, cook the hijiki: In a saucepan, cover the hijiki generously with water. Simmer it over mdium low heat for 15-20 minutes, or until hijiki is tender. Drain and rinse hijiki under cold water.
- 4Now toast the sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until they brown lightly. Move the seeds to a plate to cool.
- 5Mix the scallions, snow peas, and carrot in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the ginger, vinegar, honey, and oil, whisking to mix.
- 6Add the warm cooked rice to the vegetables. Add the cool hijiki and the vinaigrette. Toss well, add the sesame seeds, the remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt and pepper, if using. Toss again.
- 7Serve the salad warm, or chill it for 1 hour first. It will keep in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
- 8For Vegan option use a Vegan sugar or honey sub.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hijiki Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.8
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 455.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried hijiki seaweed