Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderful way to prepare granola at home. It tastes great and is not processed or full of high fructose corn syrup like the commercial brands. I love to sprinkle this over yogurt with strawberries or just snack on it during the day. This is low GI.
- 1⁄2 cup pure floral honey
- 6 cups old fashioned oats (not quick oats)
- 3⁄4 cup pecans (or any other nut, such as almonds, walnuts, or cashews)
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mixed dried blueberries (or any other combination of dried fruit, except dates) or 1 cup currants (or any other combination of dried fruit, except dates)
- Lightly coat a large baking pan (10"x9"x2 1/2") with nonstick spray. Add the honey.
- Place the pan in a cold over. Turn over to 350. Warm for 5 minutes or until honey has melted.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, flaxseed, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Remove the pan of melted honey from the oven. Add the oat mixture to the baking pan. Spread and turn to coat well with honey.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the oats are well toasted, turning every 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Cool 30 minutes.
- Add the dried fruit. Store in airtight container.