1/2 Photos of High Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
1 hr 30 mins
Perfect Chicken Every Time - a terrific presentation for very small effort. Very economical as well. From Cooks Illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup kosher salt or 1/2 cup table salt (for brine)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons garlic butter, for, placing, under, skin, optional
- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick (4 to 5 medium)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (for potatoes)
- black pepper
- 1Dissolve salt and sugar in 2 quarts cold water in large container.
- 2Immerse chicken and refrigerate until fully seasoned, minimum 1 hour, maximum 4 hours.
- 3If you're planning on cooking immediately adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees.
- 4Line bottom of broiler pan with aluminum foil and spray with spray.
- 5Remove chicken from brine, rinse with water.
- 6Butterfly chicken, flatten breastbone and smeer on flavored butter.
- 7Place chicken on the top of the broiler pan.
- 8For the crispest skin the bird should be placed, uncovered in the fridge for 8 hrs or overnight, Toss potatoes with oil, salt, and pepper in medium bowl.
- 9Spread potatoes in even layer in foil-lined broiler pan bottom.
- 10Place broiler pan rack with chicken on top.
- 11Rub chicken with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- 12Roast chicken until spotty brown, about 20 minutes.
- 13Rotate pan and continue to roast until skin has crisped and turned deep brown-- 20-25 minutes longer.
- 14A thermometer should registers 160 degrees in thickest part of breast Transfer chicken to cutting board and tent with foil.
- 15Remove HOT broiler pan rack; soak up excess grease from potatoes with paper towels.
- 16Carefully peel back foil, using a metal spatula to help scrape potatoes off foil as needed.
- 17With additional paper towels, pat off remaining grease.
- 18Cut chicken into serving pieces and serve with potatoes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for High Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (643 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1708.9
- Calories from Fat 719
- Total Fat 79.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 345.0 mg
- Sodium 57815.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 149.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 54.3 g
- Protein 97.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: