Recipe by Oolala
This sounds healthy!
Top Review by RedFarmGirl
Tasty! This recipe was simple and delicious. I made mini-muffins and they turned out great. Because of the size, they dry out quicker than the bread probably does but you can dampen them and heat them in the microwave and all's well. I used 1/4 c. blackstrap molasses and 1/4 c. sugar to boost the nutrient value and that worked well. Next time, I'll probably ditch the sugar altogether and just go with molasses. Also I'll try them with raisin bran cereal to give me raisins *and* prunes. Thanks Oolala!
- 2 cups all-bran cereal, Kellogg's
- 2⁄3 cup prune juice, from cooked prunes
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup prune, pitted, cooked and chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak bran in prune juice and buttermilk.
- Cream sugar and butter throughly then add the egg and beat well.
- Add bran mixture.
- Sift the flour with the salt and baking soda and add to the mixture.
- Now add the nuts, if you like.
- Stir only until flour disappears.
- Bake in a greased loaf pan (9 1/2" by 5 1/2") in a 325 degree oven for an hour and 20 minutes.