Recipe by Queen of Everything
This is a great way to get those veggies into children of all ages. Serve as a pizza sauce or over pasta with meatballs.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup eggplant, grated
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup frozen spinach, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 28 ounces cold water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chiffanade
Directions See How It's Made
- In large, heavy bottomed pot, heat oil over medium-low heat.
- Add onion, eggplant, zuchini and carrot and saute until tender.
- Add garlic and tomato paste and saute 2 minutes more, being careful not to allow garlic to brown.
- Add remaining tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and water.
- Cover pot and bring to a simmer.
- Vent pot lid and allow to simmer for 2 hours.
- Add spinach and simmer for 10-15 minutes more.
- Add basil during last 2-3 minutes of cooking time.