Recipe by -Sylvie-
I grew up in North-Rhine Westphalia, in Germany, where this is eaten quite regularly. I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar as it didn't have a home and I thought it'd be nice to actually make this recipe, also known as Herringsstip, as I usually just buy it ready made. I'll update once I've made it, but if you make it before me, please let me know what you think!
Top Review by ~Ri
Also known as "Herringstip" in the region of North Rhine-Westphalia in Germany .:) I love this recipe it is outstanding with just some boiled red potatoes peeled hot. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :) ~Ri
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1⁄2 lemon, Juice Only
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 small onions
- 2 medium apples (Tart)
- 8 herring fillets, Marinated
- 2 teaspoons dill, Fresh OR
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed, Dried
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend thoroughly sour cream, yogurt, lemon juice and sugar.
- Peel onions and cut into thin slices.
- Peel and quarter apples, remove cores and cut into thin wedges.
- Blend onions and apples with sauce.
- In a dish arrange herring and apple-onion mixture in layers.
- Cover tightly and marinate in refrigerator for 5 hours.
- Sprinkle with dill before serving.