Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
In January of 2014 we had an awful snowstorm. This is not unusual in Michigan, but neither is the runs on a store. This is the soup my daughter and I made by picking up the leftovers of the people hoarding ingredients that will show up in 3 days... 3 rules to Hercules' Soup: (1) shant be no white beans! (2) Spinach is optional!!! (3) You must include tortilleni!!!
- Brown the sausage in a dutch oven, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Take the sausage out with a slotted spoon.
- Sautee the cabbage, onion and celery in the grease from the sausage. About 15 minutes, until cooked down.
- Add the potato, turnip, tomatoes, chicken broth and sausage.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add cooked tortillini and simmer for another 10-15 mintues.
- Once tortillini and potatoes are soft and ready to eat, serve in bowls and top with cheese.