Recipe by Dancer^
This is a tasty chicken recipes, serve it with scalloped potatoes and peas, fresh rolls. I found this on a recipe site about 3 years ago.
Top Review by Gidget265
We had this last night and DH liked it a lot. It was very moist and flavorful. I did put some onions on the bottom -- but didn't end up eating them as they seemed to disappear... Definitely will make this again. Thanks!
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place rack in center of oven.
- Spray a shallow roasting pan with nonstick spray.
- Remove neck and giblets, and rinse chicken well.
- Sprinkle skin with salt and freshly ground pepper, rubbing additional seasoning inside cavity.
- In a small bowl, mix together rosemary, thyme, lemon zest and garlic.
- Using your fingers, loosen the skin and spread fresh herb mixture directly onto the breast meat.
- Sprinkle any remaining herb mixture onto skin.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, in the prepared pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Roast 50 to 70 minutes for a 3 to 4 lb. chicken.
- To test for doneness, insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, away from the bone.
- The juices should run clear and the thermometer should read 170 to 175 degrees. Remove chicken from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before carving.