Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Great American Recipes.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herb (such as basil leaves, sage, oregano or thyme)
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, cold water, garlic salt, oregano, pepper and paprika. Mix to blend well.
- Divide meat into even pieces. Shape each piece into a patty, about 3/4-inch thick.
- Coat patties with flour. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Then dip patties into beaten egg and into bread crumbs.
- Brown patties on both sides in butter in a skillet.
- Arrange patties in a shallow baking dish.
- Pour a little spaghetti sauce over patties. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Pour the rest of the spaghetti sauce over patties.
- Bake at 400F for about 25 minutes or until patties are hot and cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle with herbs and serve.
I love these!! I've had this recipe written on a scrap of paper in my recipe box for over 20 years. I had no idea where it came from. A little extra work, but so worth it. Thanks for posting!!