Recipe by Oolala
I had this copied from an unknown source but it sounded interesting with anchovies, garlic, vermouth, bread crumbs (use matzoh meal crumbs for Passover), etc. I have never made a veal roast but I hope to soon.
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth, plus (or white wine)
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth (or white wine)
- 1 (5 lb) veal roast, rolled and boned rump
- 2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs (or matzoh meal for Passover)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place anchovies, garlic, thyme, and 2 tablespoons vermouth or white wine in blender or food processor; process to a paste and rub paste all over the roast.
- Sprinkle roast with bread crumbs and place in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast veal 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and pour remaining vermouth or white wine plus 1 cup of water into pan.
- Roast basting every 20 minutes for the first hour, just until juices run clear, about 1 hour 40 minutes (155-160 on a meat thermometer).
- Transfer veal to a platter and cover loosely with foil. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Pour remaining 1/4 cup water into roasting pan and scrape loose browned bits on bottom of pan.
- Pour into gravy boat.
- Cut veal into 1/4" slices and serve with the sauce.