Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is something that we make really often at home...living in Napa Valley we often have fresh artichokes all year long. The aioli measurements are approximate, use your best judgement to your tastes.
- 2 large artichokes, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 2 medium garlic cloves (rough chopped)
- 2 sprigs rosemary (chopped fine)
- 2 sprigs thyme (chopped fine)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- olive oil
- salt (grey or sea)
Aioli-esque dipping sauce
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sierra nevada mustard (I like the stout mustard or a brown mustard or grey poupon mix)
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mexican cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ground grey salt
- ground black pepper
- ***all times are approximate based on the size of the artichokes***.
- Prep artichokes by trimming the base (leave some of it because it's good), trimming leaves and leveling the top. Directions for this can be found on the internet.
- Using a 5 quart stockpot add water equal to about 1/4 full.
- Add herbs, garlic, rosemary, thyme & onion powder to water.
- Place a steamer basket (expandable kind) upside down into the water so that the legs are sticking up.
- Place the artichokes flat top down on the steamer basket so that the bottoms are pointing up.
- Cover and steam the artichokes until a knife set into the base of the artichoke can easily slice into the heart. Approximately 25 - 30 minutes at the longest. Remove and set aside. Discard water.
- While the artichokes are steaming make the aioli by mixing all ingredients together and setting into the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Let stand about 5 - 10 minutes (careful, they will be hot) then using tongs, hold the artichoke stem up and slice the artichoke in half through the center of the heart.
- Cut out the choke part (purple) and the hairy top of the heart.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil on both sides and season with cracked pepper & salt.
- Using a hot grill outdoors, set the artichokes with the leaves side down and grill for about 5 minutes. Then turn them over and grill them on the heart side down for 5 minutes or until nicely charred & grill marks are noticable.
- Serve 1/2 artichoke per person as a side for dinner or appetizer.