Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 mins
from veggie life and missing from their online database.. Make sure you read the bottom note below recipe. This is an Apian, Lacto, Ovo Vegetarian recipe.
- 14 -16 ounces extra firm tofu (waterpacked)
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons coarse ground honey mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄3 cup matzo meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- minced fresh garlic, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- Cut the tofu into four lengthwise slices.
- In bowl whisk sauce ingredients together and set aside to let flavors blend.
- In second bowl combine coating and toss to mix. Spread evenly on small plate and set aside.
- In wide shallow bowl or a deep plate, combine eggs and water and beat well with fork.
- In large nonstick skillet heat oil over med heat. Arrange bowls of egg and coating nearby. Coat 1 slice tofu with egg then to crumb cover surface well then transfer to hot skillet. Repeat until finished.
- Cook tofu until crispy. about 2 minutes Flip and crisp other side. Drizzle with sauce at table.
- NOTE: To get this tofu to crisp you MUST, I repeat MUST drain. To do this place the tofu on a slant board and place a heavy weight such as a plate and a cookbook on top of the tofu. Let it sit until the water stops running.
- You can change the texture of this by freezing the tofu. After freezing drain as directed.
- IF you do NOT DRAIN? It will NOT brown or get crispy.
This was quite good. I made it exactly as written but used seasoned bread crumbs and it came out crispy and delicious. THe sauce is a very flavorful low calorie idea when you are looking for a dip without all the fat. Enjoy and thanks for the recipe!
My boyfriend is lactose intolerant so we made this with a mushroom roux instead of yogurt and the sauce turned out great. He loved the tofu, but I found it to be too plain. We also used half as many eggs and had some left over to spare. We used a whole wheat bread for the crumbs which we dried out in a 200 over for 20 minutes or so. He especially loved their crunch. All of our guests were really impressed as it plated nicely. I would definately make this again.