Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
This recipe is one that I do not eat, but DH loves beets, so I make for him. From a Heloise column, if you love beets you'll probably love this recipe.
- 1 (16 ounce) cansliced beets
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 24 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- Drain all the liquid from the beets except 1 1/2 cups.
- pour the 1 1/2 cups beet liquid into a medium saucepan.
- Add all of the other ingredients except the sliced beets.
- Mix well.
- Add the beets.
- Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or until liquid thickens.
- Allow to cool.
darlenes recipe is very old and it calls for 6 cups of beets its useing 303c cans! good recipe thanks for posting