Recipe by bluemoon downunder
Hedgehogs are simple, unbaked biscuits that have been around for generations: an Australian classic! And a great lunchbox, snack and afternoon tea favourite! Hedgehogs can be made with or without nuts. If omitting the nuts, use 1/2 cup extra of the biscuits. As an alternative, you can use almonds or walnuts. Adapted from a recipe from the Simply Great Meals Club website. 125 gms = 4 oz.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
My oven has been unreliable so when called on to prepare a dessert this no bake option greatly appealed to me. Very easy to prepare, this yield a rich ending. I found coconut tea biscuits and used those for my base layer and replaced the hazelnuts with cashews on deference to the preferences to the intended recipient. I found the cookie layer a bit too sweet and remained a little sticky even after chilling for 14 hours. I might and suggest using salted butter to tame that just a touch. The added coconut and nuts were delicious and next time I would include other dried fruits including raisins or currants.
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup coconut
- 2 cups Marie biscuits (for Australians) or 2 cups graham crackers, broken into pieces (for Americans)
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts
- 125 g dark chocolate
- 125 g milk chocolate
- 1 tablespoon Copha
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the sifted icing sugar and cocoa, and mix well.
- Stir in the beaten egg, and return the pan to the heat and stir until the mixture boils.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coconut, biscuit pieces and nuts. The biscuits are generally broken into pieces about the size of a hazelnut, but some larger pieces is fine, and the pieces certainly don't have to all be the same size!
- Spoon the mixture into a baking paper lined 18cm x 28cm (approximately 7" x 11") slice pan and press down firmly.
- Icing the Hedgehogs: Melt the dark chocolate, milk chocolate and copha together in a microwave-safe bowl or jug in a microwave oven on a Medium setting for approximately 2 minutes; stir well, pour - and spread evenly - over the hedgehog base.
- Chill to set.
- Once chilled, cut into 24 slices. Or larger or smaller slices if you wish!
- Notes: For extra flavour, add 1/4 cup of sultanas.