Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The spices are the star of this cake so use the freshest you can get- it's definitely best if you can grind your own! You can make it with or without the fried apple filling. The cream cheese icing goes perfectly with this recipe. I created this recipe for my wife's birthday cake and it was a big hit! The apple filling ingredients start at the 2 baking apples, the frosting ingredients start at the package of cream cheese.
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 236.59 ml softened butter
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 709.77 ml cake flour (makes a much better cake than all-purpose flour)
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml ground allspice
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 0.59 ml white pepper (or one pinch)
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 2 baking apples (granny smith, winesap, etc)
- 44.37 ml butter
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 1 lemons or 1 lime
- 59.14 ml apple juice
- 7087.38 g package cream cheese
- 59.14 ml softened butter
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter and sugar, brown sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla, blend for 1 minute.
- Stir all dry ingredients together.
- Alternate adding scoops of dry ingredients and buttermilk to the creamed mixture while beating until all ingredients are combined.
- Blend until there are no lumps.
- Pour into two 9 inch rounds and bake for~40 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool.
- If you wish to stack the cakes you should cut the rounded tops off with a bread knife once they have cooled so that they will stack flat, save the removed portion for apple filling.
- To make fried apple filling, scoop a trough into the top of the first cake layer for the apple filling, about 1 inch deep but leave the edges to form a shallow dish or basin in the cake.
- Save the crumbs from this procedure.
- Peel and core 2 baking apples.
- Chop apples and put into a skillet along with 3 T butter, about 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Heat on medium heat, stir occasionally to prevent burning but allow the apples to brown slightly (this turns the sugars to caramel).
- Once the apples have stopped sweating and are caramelized, add the juice from 1/2 lemon or lime and 1/4 cup of apple juice.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the cake crumbs until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Spoon this into the shallow trough on the cake and place the second cake on top.
- To make frosting, ceam butter and cheese together.
- Blend in vanilla and add sugar.
- Once sugar is incorporated turn mixer to high and whip until light and creamy.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake, sprinkle with additional cinnamon or nutmeg if desired.