Prep1 hr 30 mins
From Bon Appetit January 2006. When I tested these the first time I had to add an extra egg. Is it just my imagination, or are eggs getting smaller? Prepare your nose for the wonderful scent!
- 4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsulphured dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients.
- Add the molasses, shortening and egg; beat to blend ingredients well. Next, beat in the boiling water. Chill dough 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Roll the chilled dough by tablespoonful into balls. Roll each ball into granulated sugar.
- Place the balls 2-inches apart on ungreased aluminum baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies until puffed and cracked on top and centers still feel very soft; approximately 12 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool.
- Don't forget to leave some cookies out for Santa Claus!
Super easy, gorgeous, and delicious!! My husband ate one and said he could eat a whole dozen.