Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love hummus and this recipe is one of the best I've tried. I like to spread it on pita triangles and top with cucumber, chopped kalamata olives, and feta. I think the homemade tahini paste makes it much better.
- 473.18 ml canned chick-peas, liquid reserved (garbanzo beans)
- 73.94 ml olive oil, divided
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
tahini paste (use 2/3 cup)
- 59.16 ml sesame seeds
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml tepid water
- In a food processor, puree the chickpees, tahini, 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice and garlic until smooth, adding a little of the reserved liquid if the mixture seems too thick; It will be slightly grainy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl or plate.
- Combine the paprika and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, drizzle the mixture over the top, and garnish with chipped parsley, if desired.
- Serve with pita bread triangles (I like "Recipe #179799" with parmesan cheese), cucumbers, crumbled feta cheese, and chopped kalamata olives. Chopped sun-dried tomatoes are a good addition also.
- *HOMEMADE TAHINI PASTE:.
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds.
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 cup tepid water.
- Blend sesame seeds in a blender and grind until smooth.
- Add sesame oil, salt, and then slowly add 1/4 cup of water while blending.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Makes 1 cup tahini paste.
I love the tahini paste in this recipe. The store bought stuff come in such a big container, it goes bad before I can use it up. I used all of the tahini paste with a 15 1/2 oz can of chick peas. I also added a couple of roasted red peppers. Thanks for bring back hummus to me.
I really enjoyed this recipe. I reduced the oil and used almond milk to suit my weight-loss program, and I added lemon zest, cumin and just a touch of dijon mustard. I especially liked the recipe for the homemade tahini as I didn't have any on hand. I made it with 2 TBS sesame seeds and 2 TBS pistachios because I LOVE pistachios. Thanks for the recipe, I will be using this one from now on.
5 BRIGHT STARS!!! Made a 1/2 recipe using (sorry to say) bottled tahini paste (didn't have enough sesame to make my own). Love the flavor . . .used lots of garlic and lemon! Also added a bit more smoked paprika. It's in the fridge right now . . . can't wait for happy hour!