Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a really easy Tuscan style white bean and spinach soup. I prefer it meatless, but mini meatballs can be added.
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 (1190.67 g) can chicken broth
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (850.48 g) can white beans, any variety
- 283.49 g packaged frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 177.44 ml macaroni, uncooked
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese, and or pecorino romano cheese, to serve
- Heat the oil in a 4 quart soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and thyme and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Drain the beans and roughly mash 1/2 a can of beans. Add the beans and mashed beans to the pot.
- Squeeze the water from the thawed spinach and add to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
- Add the macaroni and cook until tender according to package directions. (About 10 minutes.).
- Serve sprinkled with grated parmesan and/or pecorino romano.
Very nice. I used my homemade turkey stock in place of chicken stock. Added some mushrooms for extra goodness. Otherwise made as written and mopped it up with some crusty bread. Thanks for a lovely dinner.
Great recipe. I did make a serving for three and added 1/3 lb. ground pork. Really good for a cool spring day.
great soup, I used kale and doubled the spices. No meat needed in this soup.