Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
The filling in this sandwich is a creamy Stroganoff-style. It sounds good. Recipe is from Taste of Home.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 loaf unsliced Italian bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the cream cheese, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, water and oregano.
- Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Cut bread in half horizontally; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-inch shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Place bread bottom on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese; top with sausage mixture and remaining cheese.
- Replace bread top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This sandwich is delicious and very filling. My husband and I both liked it a lot.