Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
We all hated potato soup, until I came up with this combination. It is a hearty meal on a cold winters day. Extra ham and bacon, make it even more filling. It is a large batch, but freezes well. I sometimes bake the potatoes the night before, to save time.
- 8 large baked potatoes
- 12 ounces mild shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 10 tablespoons margarine or 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 ounces flour
- 8 cups milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- black pepper
- crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- Bake potatoes until done.
- Cut four potatoes into small cubes.
- Mash the remaining four with a fork.
- Set aside.
- Using a large soup pot, saute onion and celery in the 4 tablespoons of margarine or butter.
- Cook until celery is tender.
- Remove vegetables from pan.
- Place remaining 6 tablespoons of butter or margarine in pan.
- Add flour.
- Mix over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly to blend with flour mixture.
- Add bouillon cubes and black pepper to taste.
- Readd celery and onions to pot.
- Add mashed potatoes.
- Cook until heated through.
- Add ham, and cubed potatoes.
- Cook over medium low heat 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add cheese and bacon, if using, and cook until cheese is melted through.
- Add more milk if soup is too thick.
Love potato soup and this is by far the greatest recipe yet..MMM,MMM,MY,MY..
Oh, yum! I made this other evening. It is soooo good! Perfect for a cold day. Or any day. This chowder is very filling and has been added to my "comfort food list" :) I made it exactly as directed in the recipe. Thank you for sharing this recipe!