Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A simple but delicious beef stew. The wine and tomatoes give it more body than the average stew. Adapted from the American Heart Association Cookbook.
- 2 lbs lean beef, cut into cubes (such as sirloin)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 red potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Coat the beef with the flour. Brown in oil in a large dutch oven or stew pot.
- Add onion & cook until soft & translucent. Add garlic and stir.
- Add all ingredients through water. Bring to boil. Partially cover & simmer for 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, and carrots. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in parsley and salt to taste.