Recipe by Lynette McDonough
This is a recipe I found online, but altered slightly to my own taste. This is an awesome soup for a cold winter day. Fresh baked bread goes well with this soup and it's hearty enough to serve for dinner.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
The ingredients, proportions and directions for this soup are almost identical to the one a co-worker recently brought to a soup potluck at work. The only difference is that she used 2 (8 oz) cans of condensed tomato soup and 2 undrained cans of diced tomatoes. Everything else was the same. I was going to post her recipe because I loved it when she brought it to work and so many people asked for the recipe that she typed it out and left a stack of copies in the staff lounge for everyone. The taste of the basil really came through and the soup has a nice, thick texture. I will definitely be making this recipe. It was wonderful! Thanks!
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped finely. or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 21 1⁄2 ounces cream of tomato soup
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 32 ounces stewed tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion and garlic in butter until soft and translucent.
- Add basil, paprika, and creme cheese.
- Cook until creamy, stirring constantly so as not to burn the paprika.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir vigorously with a whisk.
- Heat to desired temperature and serve.