Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I combined two recipes and improvised a bit to come up with this one. It's easy and delicious!
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 1⁄2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil on medium. When warm but not hot, add chopped onions and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add carrot and bell pepper and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Puree one can of beans with their liquid and add the puree, along with the boiling water and bouillon, to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, cumin, cayenne, and remaining beans with liquid. Remove some of the liquid from the soup and combine with the cornstarch in a separate bowl. Mix until the cornstarch seems dissolved, and then add to the soup.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour, or longer if you have the time. Season with salt and pepper; the beans already contribute a good amount of salt, so more pepper may be needed to balance that out.