Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adopted from Recipezaar, February 2005. Haven't had time to try yet.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, Chopped (1 Large)
- 1 cup cracked wheat, Uncooked
- 2 cups tomatoes, Fresh, Chopped, 2 Md
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon, Instant
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, Minced, Instant
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, Grated
- 3 tablespoons parsley, Snipped
- Cook and stir the meat and onion in a large skillet until the meat is brown.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Heat to boiling then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the wheat is tender, about 30 minutes. (A small amount of water can be added if necessary.) Stir in the cheese and garnish with additional snipped parsley and/or Parmesan Cheese.
- NOTE: The nutlike texture of cracked wheat reminds one of brown rice, in fact, it is cooked and used in the same way.