Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I believe this recipe comes from an old issue of the Canadian TV Guide. I have played with it a few times, and this is my version. Although cabbage is not called for, it is really good with some added!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 (19 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, well rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can beans, well rinsed (the 6 or 7 mixed variety)
- 1 (14 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce (do NOT rinse)
- 1 cup carrot, fine dice
- 1 cup celery, fine dice
- 1 cup potato, fine dice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat oil; add bacon and cook till golden. Drain excess fat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook till softened.
- Add beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking apart with a spoon.
- Add tomatoes, stock and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, mixed beans, baked beans, carrots, celery, potatoes, chili powder, basil and Worcestershire.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.