Recipe by casamain
This stew is made either with chicken , lamb or tendercuts of beef that is combined with the ever favorite Aubergine. The red Cayene pepper powder makes it just perfect to open up the sinuses and brave the cold winter evenings. try it with Crusty Bread or with pasta of your choice.
- 400 g bite sized pieces chicken meat or 400 g beef or 400 g lamb
- 3 tablespoons plain flour, to dredge the chickens, beef, lamb, before adding to the skillet
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (skin & seeds removed)
- 50 g canned tomato paste
- 1 medium purple plump aubergines (keep skin on) or 1 medium eggplant, cut into small cubes (keep skin on)
- 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped garlic or 2 garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, paste or 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet add olive oil and onions-let the onions sweat till transparent add the garlic till the aroma of the garlic starts to fill the air. In a bowl dredge the meat in the plain flour- add to the onion & garlic, coat the meat pieces with the onion & garlic mixing all the time, do not let the meat stick to the skillet/ pan. as the pieces start to brown a little and the meat will seal add the chopped tomatoes mix wel,l add the basil and the tomatoe paste and the Red cayene powder,give it a GOOD STIR TO INCORPORATE ALL THE INGREDIENTS WELL- finally add the aubergines. Now lower the heat and add the water, give it one more stir cover the pan with a lid-Cook on low heat till meat is tender- the sauce will be a rich red and thick, add the sugar mix well.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Penne pasta, or fusili or can be enjoyed with Brown,or white rice- I found Crusty bread . Bagettes go very well as you can clean up the sauce with this bread.