From Healthy Appetite on foodnetwork.com. I don't care about the heart shape thing, but the sauce is good! You can top with some Cool Whip free if you wish!
for the pancakes
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
for the strawberry sauce
- 16 ounces strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 200°F Preheat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over a medium-low flame.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through salt).
- In another medium bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, non-fat milk, honey and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing only enough to combine them. The batter will be somewhat lumpy.
- Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to ladle the batter onto the griddle or skillet. Flip the pancake when the top is bubbling and it is golden brown on the bottom. Then cook until the other side is golden brown. Hold on an oven proof plate in the oven until the entire batch is ready.
- Strawberry sauce:.
- Puree strawberries in food processor to a chunky puree. Heat them in a small saucepan over a low flame, until they are just warm. Stir in lemon juice and maple syrup.
- When all the pancakes are ready, cut them into heart shapes with a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Ladle about 1/3 cup of the strawberry sauce onto each plate, place pancakes on top and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if using.