From the 1995 "Heart Healthy Cookbook" of delicious healthy recipes, Edina, MN. Makes 8, 5-ounce servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds (optional)
- 1In a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute rice, pepper, onion, and mushrooms over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- 2Add tomatoes, water, and salt.
- 3Simmer covered for 45 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- 4Season to taste with cayenne and chili powder.
- 5Sprinkle with almonds- Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heart Healthy Spanish Rice
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.8
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 148.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 2.7 g