Recipe by Bec
From the 1995 "Heart Healthy Cookbook" of delicious healthy recipes, Edina, MN. Makes 8, 5-ounce servings.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute rice, pepper, onion, and mushrooms over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, water, and salt.
- Simmer covered for 45 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Season to taste with cayenne and chili powder.
- Sprinkle with almonds- Serve immediately.