Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A healthy low-fat coffee that is sure to please everyone.
Make and share this Heart-healthy Apple Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled cored & finely chopped apples, such as jonathan or granny smith
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free liquid egg product
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts or 1⁄4 cup pecans
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- Lightly coat a 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the 2/3 cup flour, 1/2 cup whole flour, soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl toss together the chopped apple and egg product; stir in the 3/4 cup sugar, the 1/4 cup nuts and applesauce;Add flourmixture and stir JUST until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; For TOPPING, stir together the brown sugar the remaining flour, whole wheat flour and cinnamon; Cut in butter until crumbly, stir in remaining nuts, sprinkle topping over batter in pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean; cool in pan for 10 minutes, serve warm.
We really enjoyed this cake! I love that it uses whole wheat flour but that the taste from it doesn't overwhelm the cake. I ended up using closer to 2 cups of apples and unfortunately I had to omit the nuts but that would have made this even more delicious! I also used 1/2 cup of Splenda with 1/4 cup of sugar to help reduce the calories and sugars. I did dust the bottom of the pan with a tablespoon of sugar & cinnamon mix. By the way, with my brands and very slight alterations this comes to 2 WW points per piece. I should mention that the cake mix was VERY thick. I was a little bit concerned but it came out very nicely. It's moist, dense, and delicious! I think that next time I might mix in some oats to the topping mixture, which I had meant to do this time! Thanks for this wonderful recipe. It's definitely a keeper!
smelled great & easy to put together!
Delightful! Made me a hit with my in-laws! Thank you!