Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Whole wheat, extra wheat germ and bran pancakes with applesauce, cinnamon, cloves, and a teensy bit of nutmeg are a healthy way to start the day.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch clove
- 1⁄4 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce (make it a little shy of a full quarter cup)
- The wheat germ I use is 70% germ, 30% bran.
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Fold wet into dry. Very important to mix gently.
- Let sit while your pan gets hot.
- Cook per usual.
I just made these tonight and they were a big hit! My kids even said they liked them better than regular pancakes! I grated some carrots and zucchini into mine. I also used brown sugar instead of white sugar. I doubled the recipe so that I would have some left over to freeze. I like to freeze my own pancakes for the kids to eat in the morning instead of buying store bought ones. One of my kids ate them with a little honey, the other ate them with apple butter and peanut butter, and my husband ate them with traditional butter and syrup. They were good every way. I will be making these again for sure!