Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe I picked up many years ago and have modified it to my needs. It is low fat, low sugar and lots of flavour with a chewy texture. The use of protein powder gives me a cookie I can indulge in after my workout and feel good about the treat.
- 250 ml whole wheat flour
- 180 ml unflavoured soya protein powder
- 375 ml old fashion oatmeal (large flake)
- 5 ml salt
- 5 ml baking soda
- 8 ml cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 ml nutmeg
- 250 ml raisins or 250 ml other dried fruit (optional)
- 200 ml applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 125 ml lightly packed brown sugar
- 5 ml real vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, protein powder, oatmeal, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins.
- Mix together in separate bowl mix together apple sauce, egg whites, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
- Combine apple sauce mixture with dry ingredients.
- Roll and flatten out cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet (dampen hands. with water to prevent dough from sticking to your fingers).
- Cook at 350 F for 10 minutes.
- Note: For added flavour, substitute about 1/2 the raisins with dried cranberries.
Not bad! They were a little difficult to form--sticky but kindof crumbly. But worth the trouble for a healthy cookie. I used Sugar Twin (brown) in place of the brown sugar. I also did not use dried fruit.
I also modified the recipe with added raisins, walnuts, flax seed powder, special dark chocolate Hershey chips, regular protein powder, light brown sugar and some honey and unsweetened applesauce, oh yes, and wheat germ. Just to try something different and tasty. I made a test run tonight and they aren't too bad maybe little variation needed here. Wasn't sure on the exact measurements however I made an educated guess. At lease I know there healthy. If any one has any suggestions on how do perfect this recipe please feel free to email me.