1 hr 5 mins
Deb Wolf's Note:
This recipe will give you 2 meals, plus leftovers. The ground turkey makes it lower in fat, the ground beef keeps it moist. You will not taste the turkey. It's my husband's two very favorite meals. If someone in your family doesn't like meatloaf, make meatballs and watch them disappear.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey breast
- 1 1/4 lbs 90% lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs (preferably unseasoned)
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1Position oven racks near the center of the oven to allow room for the two pans.
- 2Preheat oven to 450°F Line 2 jelly roll pans (low-sided baking pans) with foil; spray with a cooking oil spray, such as Pam.
- 3In a large bowl, combine the meats, eggs, soup mix, breadcrumbs and milk. Make sure it's very well mixed - you don't want to see streaks of turkey or beef. A stand mixer with a paddle blade on low speed makes quick work of it.
- 4At this point, you can form the meat mixture into one meatloaf and meatballs as I do, or all meatballs or two meatloaves as you wish. Meatloaf should be formed directly on a jelly roll pan. Shape it into an oval about 3" high. Please don't use a loaf pan. Cooking it in a loaf pan will result in a steamed texture. Cooking it in an open pan will allow a nice brown crust to form.
- 5Spray top and sides of meatloaf with Pam.
- 6Put meatloaf into the oven and REDUCE oven temperature to 375°F Bake 45 - 60 minutes. Test for doneness with thermometer - 160°F.
- 7Remember, this contains poultry, it MUST be well done. When done, remove to a platter, slice and serve with gravy. To freeze, slice, allow to cool and wrap individual slices airtight. Thaw before re-heating.
- 8While the meatloaf starts cooking, form the rest of the meat mixture into 1" meatballs. A small ice cream style scoop works well and makes uniform sized balls. Place the balls on a jelly roll pan. Spray meatballs with Pam and bake 30 - 40 minutes, turning after 20 minutes. Test for doneness (160F). Freeze meatballs on the pan, after they are frozen, remove to a ziptop freezer bag.
- 9To serve, combine gravy ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add frozen meatballs and simmer for 7-10 minutes, then drain and add to gravy. Good with noodles.
Browse Our Top Turkey Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Meatloaf & Meatballs With Gravy OAMC
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.3
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 109.9 mg
- Sodium 512.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 28.8 g