This is an amazing dish... gets the rants at dinners! We have made this multiple times, each a hit! Don't be shy to try out a pasta dish with some sweet and savory pairings! You will enjoy it!
- cooking spray
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into pieces
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tart cooking apples, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne
- chopped fresh chives, to top with
- grated sharp cheddar cheese, to top with
- In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, brown the chicken strips in batches and then transfer into a bowl.
- Spray skillet again, and add green onions, apples, nutmeg, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring for about 3 minutes to soften.
- Add vinegar, scraping any bits stuck to pan.
- Stir in evaporated milk and cranberries, bringing to a boil.
- Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook whole wheat pasta for about 10 minutes or until at your desired tenderness. Drain and return to the pot.
- Add chicken and any accumulated juices to the sauce; simmer for about three minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Pour over pasta and toss to coat. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with chives and with cheddar cheese in side dish to top with, along with a side salad and bread. Dont let it sit to long in pot before serving -- the pasta will absorb the sauce.