Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I made this once, hoping to have something light for lunch. Not only was it easy, but it tasted great, and the bulk of the rice kept me full for hours!
- 236.59 ml brown rice (best if 1 day old)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml cooked peas
- 118.29 ml cooked chopped carrot
- 236.59 ml broccoli floret
- 177.44 ml sliced mushrooms
- 1 egg, beaten
- soy sauce, to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan and sauté mushrooms until browned.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining oil in pan and add rice.
- Add egg and mix until rice is thoroughly coated with egg.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes on high, or until egg is lightly browned.
- Combine rice mixture and vegetables in large bowl and stir until vegetables are well mixed.
- Add soy sauce to taste and serve.
Revamped this a bit. Instead of using the veggies called for I used frozen vegetables. Secondly I used 2 eggs rather than one. Lastly I used Kikkoman's teriyaki marinade and sauce instead of soy sauce. Has a lot less sodium and more flavor. Turned out amazing.!
OMG I love this for its easiness. I had some cooked rice in the freezer (Doongara because as I diabetic I find it works best for me) which I defrosted which was more than a cup, a little over 1 1/2 so upped the vegetables though discovered I was out of brocoli but subbed cauliflower and as I had a knob of zucchinni left I halved and sliced and added but otherwise followed through and it was easy peasy and we loved it with our Sweet-Tangy-Garlic Drumettes (though I used drumsticks instead of drumettes). The new thing for me was to add the egg (so used to cooking it separately) but was pleased with the result in this method. I would recommend if you boil your vegies make sure you drain them well before adding otherwise you will get a gluggy mess (past youth talking back at me :lol: ) Thank you Susie Zyphur, made for Healthy Choies ABC.
Although I often serve a combo of brown rice & peas, this expanded version also expands the satisfaction ~ VERY, VERY NICE! I did omit the mushrooms, although another time I might just BARELY cook them & then add them to the finished rice! It's not that I don't like the taste of the mushrooms ~ I just don't like them cooked until they're limp! Thanks for a great keeper recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]