Recipe by healthyrecipenut
I’m a sucker for all things coconut and now that we have healthier options for incorporating it I like to modify existing recipes. This is a healthier version of a classic Cranberry Orange muffin. I’ve eaten 2 just now and had to make myself stop. Original version of this I was inspired from is Cranberry Orange Muffins on this site.
Top Review by Outta Here
Wow, these are going into the regular rotations! Lots of flavor and not too sweet. I used bottled OJ but next time will use a fresh orange and add some of the zest also, for more orange flavor. Made for Spring 2014 PAC.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup coconut butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup pepitas (raw hulled pumpkin seeds)
- turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top before baking
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: If not using coconut flour then you can probably use ½ cup of OJ. Coconut flour requires more liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line muffin tins with paper cups. – I love the new parchment ones they have in grocery stores now.
- In a bowl, stir together cranberries & regular sugar.
- In a large bowl sift together flours, oat bran, coconut flakes, baking powder, salt and brown sugar.
- Whisk eggs, OJ, and melted butter and then add to dry ingredients all at once and stir until moistened.
- Fold in sugared cranberries.
- Scoop into prepared muffins liners evenly .
- Sprinkle desired amount of Turbinado sugar on top of each.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until lightly brown and toothpick comes out cleanly.