Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This healthy turkey chili will blow you away! It's great to bring to pot-lucks and also great to satisfy your family! I've been making it for years and when fall and winter come around I get constant requests. When feeding a large party I will sometimes add macaroni or shell pasta and some cheese. I keep some in my fridge to have for lunch, dinner and a late night snack. It's a bit addictive! Adding cinnamon really rounds out the flavor and makes is a bit different from other recipes. If you are weak with spices, you may adjust accordingly.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, de-seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or 1 packet chili seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- Combine turkey, bell pepper, onion, oil, and garlic. You should always season as you go, so add a little salt and pepper, the crushed red pepper flakes, and paprika.
- Cook over med-high heat till turkey is browned.
- Add the diced tomatoes and beans along with the remaining ingredients.
- Allow 45 min to 2 hours to simmer.
- If desired, top with cheddar cheese and light sour cream. Serve with either cornbread or with buttered crakers.