Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of my favorite pancakes ever! These are delicious, chocolaty pancakes with high fiber, reduced fat, reduced sugar, and even some fruit snuck in there (shh... don't tell!). Very yummy, very satisfying. If you wish to enjoy these plain, boost the sugar and the chocolate chips.
- 177.44 ml skim milk or 177.44 ml 1% low-fat milk, plus
- 44.37 ml skim milk or 44.37 ml 1% low-fat milk
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten or 1 egg
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 59.14 ml pureed overripe banana
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 78.07 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7.39 ml ground flax seeds
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 44.37-59.16 ml milk chocolate chips, mini (or semi-sweet)
- strawberry jam (warmed) or raspberry jam (warmed) or caramel sauce (warmed)
- In a small bowl whisk milk, egg whites, vanilla, and banana.
- In large bowl, mix flours, cocoa powder, sugar, flax seed, baking soda and salt.
- Add wet mixture to dry, and whisk just until dry ingredients are moistened, folding in chocolate chips.
- Pour pancakes onto greased griddle (at about 350-375°F) and let sit until lightly bubbling and edges have began to firm. Flip and cook until firm and browned. Top with jam or a sweet sauce.
- FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS: If you make these to freeze them, don't make the topping. Cool the pancakes on a wire rack, and then when they are completely cool, wrap them in tinfoil (I wrap them in packs of two for 1 serving) and freeze. Microwave until warm, then toast to unfreeze them.
This has become a staple in our house. All my kids absolutely love them. They are healthy, and delicious! My kids are young, so don't eat a lot at one time, but by the end of the day all the pancakes that were not finished at breakfast have been eaten as snacks
Really great chocolate banana pancakes! I am not sure I have made pancakes with cocoa powder in them before, and it was a great add. I ended up just putting a whole (small) banana in this. I think macadamias would have been super in them too. We don't like things too sweet, but you were right, they did need syrup (but I think I also used half the chocolate chips as you too). The recipe made 11 medium pancakes for us. Thanks for this yummy recipe!
Mmm, yum! Really enjoyed this little treat for brekky and so did the kids!