Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
An attempt to reduce sodium and improve a soup recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, Extra Virgin
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin, bottom roast, Certified Angus Beef Brand
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, fresh chopped or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley (or regular barley, precooked)
- Trim fat from meat, cut meat into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a dutch-oven sear meat in batches in olive oil; set aside.
- Add water, broth, celery, mushrooms, carrots, onion, salt, rosemary, pepper, and garlic to the Dutch oven and bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Return meat to the pan.
- Cover and simmer 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender, if necessary, skim fat.
- Stir in tomato paste and barley. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until barley is done.