Recipe by pondinthecountry
A delicious twist on plain old oatmeal. Flavorful and hearty to please everyone in the family! Whole, old-fashioned oats are used.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon (saigon cinnamon is my preference)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- brown sugar (optional) or honey (optional) or maple syrup, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place milk, water and sugar in saucepan.
- Chop apple into small, thin chunks. Add it and the dried fruit to the milk mixture.
- Heat the mixture on medium until boiling or near boiling.
- Add oats and cinnamon and cook for 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally. If desired, also add honey, brown sugar or maple syrup.
- When oatmeal is cooked, add vanilla.