Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
A delicious real alphabet soup which is much more nutritionally sound, as well as tastier, than the canned stuff. Recipe from "Stealth Health" Mar/99. In the ingredients, "Dried Italian herb seasoning is just regular dried Italian herb.
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
I cheated a bit when making this and used a can of white beans instead of dried beans and therefore omitted the water. The pasta used was Organic Vegetable Alphabets. I sauteed the veggies before adding the broth and reduced the cooking time to about 30 minutes. The cayenne gives the soup a very nice bite wihout making it hot. DD had a 2nd bowl. That alone would make it a 5 star recipe for me. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT4
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml carrot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 828.06 ml vegetarian chicken broth or 828.06 ml chicken broth
- 709.77 ml water
- 236.59 ml dried white bean, rinsed
- 398 ml can tomatoes, cut up
- 4.92 ml dried Italian herb seasoning or 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 0.59 ml cayenne
- 236.59 ml dry alphabet pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first five ingredients; boil.
- Add next four ingredients; boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 hours until beans are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove most of the beans and transfer remaining liquid to a blender; process till smooth.
- Return mixture and beans back to the pot; Stir in alphabet pasta.
- Boil then reduce hear; cover and simmer 8 minutes until pasta is tender but firm.
- Yield: 6 1 1/2 cup servings.