Campbell's Abc's Vegetarian Vegetable Soup
After fooling around, I have come up with the perfect tasting homemade version to this classic canned soup! At the age of 35, this is my favorite "feel better" soup when I come down with a cold. The ABC's are fun for the kids too! If you don't want to go vegetarian, use beef broth instead of vegetable broth or a combo of both.
- Ready In:
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen vegetables (diced carrots, corn, peas, green beans, lima beans, diced potatoes)
- 6 ounces vegetable juice
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup alphabet pasta, uncooked (pastina would work also)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine vegetable broth, veggies, juice, tomato paste, thyme, oregano, basil and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta; add cooked pasta to soup and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I love this recipe. When making it recently I inadvertently added the entire can of tomato paste and I actually like it better. Seems a little richer. Also I used Italian Seasoning in place of the basil, oregano and thyme. I used ditalini pasta as I could not find the alphabets. I like that it makes enough for me to take for lunch for several days.Reply
I added 1/4 barley, and half of a diced bell pepper. I omitted any of the spices because I thought it tasted spot on without them! So true story, I blindfolded my son, who LOVES Campbell's Alphabet soup, and asked him which was which... he picked this recipe as the Campbell's! Thanks for sharing!Reply
This tasted just like Campbell's, but so much better, IMHO. I used homemade chicken broth and doubled the alphabet pasta. Everything else was prepared per instructions. I was able to use 100% organic ingredients, including the pasta (Eden Foods). I added some grilled cheese sandwiches and my husband and I enjoyed a wonderfully nostalgic dinner on a chilly January evening. We haven't had any Campbell's products for 15 years so to find this recipe was a treat. Thanks so much for sharing!Reply