Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These were so easy, fast and tasted wonderful. Makes a very small amount, which is nice if you have a smaller family. From Eillie Krieger's Healthy Appetite show. If you like it smoother, you can use a potato masher or a stick blender to mush the beans.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder (or other chili powder)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup low sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and chili powder and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the beans and chicken broth and cook until the beans are warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Mash the beans coarsely with the back of a wooden spoon, adding more chicken broth to moisten, if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in the cilantro.
Yummy! I doubled it with lots of garlic. I also added some cumin along with the chili powder. My mom and I ate EASILY two servings each in one sitting! LOL. Thanks for posting such an easy, vegan version.
This was great! I didn't get mine to mash up as well, but it was still awesome.