Recipe by JFitz
This recipe was on the Bonnie Hunt Show and it's from the cookbook "Cook this not That". It looks like a really good healthier way to make Macaroni & Cheese. I'm putting it on Zaar for safe keeping.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
Good mac and cheese. Was not really cheesy but still could taste the cheese. I left out the jalapenos for DSs but followed the rest of the recipe. Everyone enjoyed this. Made for PAC Fall 2011.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 ounces ham, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent (but not browned), about 3 minutes. Add the flour and stir to incorporate into the butter. Pour in the milk a few tablespoons at a time, using a whisk to incorporate the flour and prevent lumps from forming. When all the milk has been added, allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes, until it begins to thicken. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente, drain and return to the pot. Add the cheese sauce, jalapenos, and ham and stir to fully incorporate. Divide the mixture among 6 individual crocks or pour into large baking dish. Top with bread crumbs and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil until the bread crumbs are golden brown and crispy, about another 3 minutes.