Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my way of making lasagna..inspired my my DSIL's recipe. You get all the flavor and only a little of the guilt! You can cut back on the garlic if it's not your thing. You can use full-fat ingredients too of course. Can be made up to two days ahead and stored in fridge.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian turkey sausage (casing removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute or 2 whole eggs
- 8 ounces fat-free cottage cheese
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, brown meats with mushrooms, onion and garlic. Drain and return to skillet or pot.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, and marjoram to meat mixture. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine egg substitute (or beaten eggs)cottage cheese, sour cream, 1/2 cup parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Place half of the noodles in the bottom of a 13x9 baking pan.
- Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture over noodles, then half the meat, half the cheddar and half of the mozzarella.
- Repeat layers and top with 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Great lasagna! I added more mushrooms, curshed re pepper flakes, and used low-fat mozzarella & fat-free sour cream. The recipe says it makes 10 servings, more realistically this makes 6-8. Leftovers were not as good as when it first came out of the oven, but I still enjoyed it.
I make this recipe at least once a month. I use ground turkey for the meat, but otherwise follow the recipe exactly. Everyone that has tasted it agrees it is the best they have ever tasted and they ask for the recipe. Thank you for sharing.
This is so good for a low fat dish! I made it to a T except I used Italian chicken sausage (only thing I could find). This is a to die for Healthier Lasagna Recipe. Full of flavor. It did seem to take longer to prepare ??? or with all the additional ingredients it seemed that way. We really enjoyed this for dinner and I have loads in the freezer for leftover! Yummy!!! :) Thanks little_wing for posting.