Recipe by Chef RZ Fan
This is adapted from the recipe Goldmine site - la hacienda Huevos Recipe. This is also a lighter healthier version.
Top Review by megs_
This is very yummy! Huevos Rancheros is one of my favorite breakfasts and you couldn't even tell this one was made with the better for you ingredients! I used fat free beans and Kraft 2% cheese. I garnished with cilantro. Thanks for sharing. ;-)
- 2 large burrito-size flour tortillas, fat free heart healthy kind
- 1 (16 ounce) canfat-free refried beans or 2 cups homemade refried beans
- 2 -3 eggs, per person
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa, We use chunky with medium heat
- 2 cups cheese, blend shredded and fat free (I use weight watchers)
- 4 pickled jalapeno peppers
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the two large tortillas into a bowl shape - about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Watch them carefully so they do not burn on the edges.
- Put the refried beans in a microwave safe covered casserole and cook on high for 3-5 minutes.
- Spray a non-stick fry pan with cooking spray and fry eggs over easy.
- I fry six at once in a large fry pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and put the empty baked tortilla bowls on it.
- Add 8oz beans to each tortilla bowl and spread evenly on the bottom of the bowls.
- Place 2 or 3 fried eggs on top of the beans in each bowl.
- Put about 8 oz salsa in each bowl on top of the eggs.
- Top each bowl with 1 Cup of the shredded cheese.
- Carefully place in 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- watch that the edges do not burn. If cheese does not melt enough turn on the broiler for 1 - 3 minutes.
- Garnish with jalapeno slices if desired.