Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is adapted from the recipe Goldmine site - la hacienda Huevos Recipe. This is also a lighter healthier version.
- 2 large burrito-size flour tortillas, fat free heart healthy kind
- 1 (16 ounce) canfat-free refried beans or 2 cups homemade refried beans
- 2 -3 eggs, per person
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa, We use chunky with medium heat
- 2 cups cheese, blend shredded and fat free (I use weight watchers)
- 4 pickled jalapeno peppers
- Bake the two large tortillas into a bowl shape - about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Watch them carefully so they do not burn on the edges.
- Put the refried beans in a microwave safe covered casserole and cook on high for 3-5 minutes.
- Spray a non-stick fry pan with cooking spray and fry eggs over easy.
- I fry six at once in a large fry pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and put the empty baked tortilla bowls on it.
- Add 8oz beans to each tortilla bowl and spread evenly on the bottom of the bowls.
- Place 2 or 3 fried eggs on top of the beans in each bowl.
- Put about 8 oz salsa in each bowl on top of the eggs.
- Top each bowl with 1 Cup of the shredded cheese.
- Carefully place in 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- watch that the edges do not burn. If cheese does not melt enough turn on the broiler for 1 - 3 minutes.
- Garnish with jalapeno slices if desired.
This is very yummy! Huevos Rancheros is one of my favorite breakfasts and you couldn't even tell this one was made with the better for you ingredients! I used fat free beans and Kraft 2% cheese. I garnished with cilantro. Thanks for sharing. ;-)