Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe can be used for cup cakes as well. Instead of using the chocolate frosting you can decorate with fresh strawberries and drizle the with chocolate sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin (puree in a can)
- 1⁄4 olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a spring form cake pan with cooking spray and coat lightly with flour.
- Combine cocoa and baking chocolate in a bowl and add boiling water stirring until chocolate melts. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, vanilla, egg, milk and pumkin puree. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda to mixture. Combine.
- Stir in cocoa and dark chocolate chips to mixture and combine with batter. Spoon the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle cake with topping ingredients.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for at least 10 minutes and remove form pan. Cool completely.
- Combine frosting ingredients and spread over cake. Enjoy!
An excellent chocolate cake recipe for the spring PAC event 2012. The cake is very moist and delicious with chocolate frosting to coat the outside and a nice nutty filling in the centre to add to the decadence of this wonderful cake