Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
The best comfort food of all time. Be careful, you might just lick your plate!! I first had this in the hospital after my first son was born and spent months looking for the recipe. It is nothing like the tuna casserole I got as a kid! The red bell pepper and Ritz are vital so please don't substitute.
- 6 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and broken up
- 1⁄2 package Ritz cracker, broken but not crushed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook noodles according to package directions in lightly salter water (Do not overcook).
- Drain and toss with butter.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine soup, milk, sour cream, salt, and vegetables in a large saucepan.
- Cook over low heat stirring often for about 15 minutes.
- Add tuna.
- Combine tuna mixture with noodles.
- Spoon into a 2 quart oven safe dish.
- Sprinkle with crackers.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
Followed directions except added approximately two cups of shredded cheddar cheese to the mix. Without the cheese, I'm afraid we would've found it a bit too bland. With the cheese, everyone enjoyed it very much and it is something I would make again. You are right, Jaymee this is great comfort food!
Good and easy comfort food!