Recipe by Sweet Baboo
This is a quick and delicious recipe that I have changed to suit my family's needs, but feel free to use sugar in the cake, and the optional Mocha Filling and optional Topping which I shall include at the bottom if you want the standard recipe. I have also substituted 7/8 cup of almonds and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract successfully for the hazelnuts. If you prefer, you can use 3/4 cup of Splenda, and eliminate the fructose, but I think it helps with the structure of the cake. I guessed at the weight of the sugar-free instant pudding mix, and the Dream Whip envelope, but I think they are all a standard size...this filling can be used to frost a cake too...just refrigerate after you apply it.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
Oh my gosh, what a delectably wonderful torte with the light chocolate and hazelnut tastes melding together for a perfect taste sensation. This is a rather light dessert (not heavy and overly-sweet), so it should appeal to even those who tend to shy away from rich desserts. I finely chopped some extra toasted hazelnuts, which I used to dust the top, for an extra touch of hazelnut. Next time I make this, I'll dust the sides with finely chopped hazelnuts, too. Thanks for a fantastic recipe, Sweet Baboo.
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons fructose
- 6 tablespoons splenda artificial sweetener
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 (1 ounce) box sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix, 4 serving size
- 1 (40 g) envelope Dream Whip
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 8" round cake pans lined with parchment.
- Mix together the flour, Splenda, and baking powder, and set aside.
- In a blender whirl the eggs and fructose until light and lemon coloured. (If using sugar, whirl 3/4 cup with eggs until mixed).
- Add flour, baking powder, Splenda and hazelnuts to blender, and blend at high speed for a few seconds.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool.
- Beat the filling and topping ingredients till stiff.
- Use about 1/2 of it as filling, and the remainder to top the torte. Refrigerate.
- You can garnish with whole toasted hazelnuts.
- For the alternate filling, Cream 2 tablespoons of soft butter with 1 cup of icing sugar: add 2 tablespoons of strong, hot coffee, 1 teaspoon cocoa and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Spread between the layers.
- For alternate topping: Whip 1 cup of whipping cream with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of Tia Maria until stiff and spread over the filled torte. Refrigerate the torte.