Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I took this recipe from the book "Homemade Desserts" (2006). I was looking for a nice, light dessert for a family birthday celebration. I made a few slight modifications and it turned out wonderfully! Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo to go with this recipe, but I will upload one the next time I make it. It looks quite nice with the creamy raspberry layer sandwiched between the two meringues! Enjoy!
- butter, for greasing
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup toasted hazelnuts, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pint fresh raspberry
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- the original recipe called for 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream but i found the whiskey flavour to be cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F (325F for a convection oven). Grease and line two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- For the meringue, beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar to make a stiff and glossy meringue. Fold in the vanilla extract, vinegar, cornstarch and ground hazelnuts.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two prepared pans and level the surface. Scatter the chopped hazelnuts over the top of one, then bake in the over for 50 - 60 minutes, or until crisp. Turn out on a wire rack until cool.
- For the filling, stir the yogurt, whiskey and honey together in a bowl. Whip the cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks form, then fold into the yogurt mixture together with the raspberries.
- Sandwich the two meringues together with the cream mixture, with the nut-topped meringue uppermost. Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve in slices.